Essential oils are concentrated essences from plants used for their healing properties. Cinnamon essential oil comes in two forms -- cinnamon bark oil and cinnamon leaf oil. These oils have similar benefits. Both are thought to help reduce nausea and encourage circulation while calming, rejuvenating and disinfecting the body. The safest ways to use cinnamon essential oils are through inhalation or as a cleaning solution.
Fill the glass part of your diffuser with water.
Add two to three drops of cinnamon bark or leaf essential oil to the water.
Light the candle underneath and enjoy the scent that will emerge.
Air SprayStep 1
Pour 10 oz. of water in a spray bottle.
Add 50 to 100 drops of cinnamon oil to the water.
Spray the mixture into the air or use it to clean surfaces.
Items you will need
- ✓ Diffuser
- ✓ Spray bottle
- Avoid cinnamon oil if you are pregnant. Essential oils are able to penetrate the placental barrier during pregnancy and the effects of this are uncertain. Since cinnamon is a very strong essential oil, aromatherapists recommend avoiding it during pregnancy.
- The safety of essential oils with infants and young children is also unknown, so use caution and check with your doctor.
- Do not ingest cinnamon in essential oil form.
- Do not put cinnamon bark oil on the skin and use caution if applying cinnamon leaf oil to your skin, as it can cause irritation. Dilute it in a carrier oil like grapeseed oil if you apply it to your skin.
- Essential oils can cause allergic reactions, so test a small diluted amount on your skin before applying it to a large area.
- Cinnamon essential oil is very strong. Use it in small doses.
- "Aromatherapy Oils: A Complete Guide"; Carol Schiller, et al.; 1996
- "The Essential Natural Health Bible"; Nerys Purchon; 2006
- “The Aromatherapy Kit”; Charla Devereux; 1993
- University of Minnesota: Are Essential Oils Safe?
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
This article reflects the views of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of Jillian Michaels or JillianMichaels.com.